Saturday, June 18, 2011

Miso Seedy Roll

After learning about how crazy wonderful seeds are, I realized I needed to eat more. Like, a lot more. One of the things I love about sushi restaurants is seeing all of the creative and interesting rolls the chefs make. This recipe is not nearly as interesting as those. I needed to figure out how to add more raw seeds into my diet and this is easy peasy.

Miso broth- 2 tablespoons of miso into 2 cups of boiled water, stirred, not shaken
OR just 2 cups of plain old water
1 cup of raw unsalted sunflower seeds
1 cup of raw unsalted punk'in seeds
2 tablespoons of your favorite sauce, salad dressing, whatev's. (optional)
Nori seaweed

Soak the seeds in broth or water for over night. The next day, drain em and throw them into the blender with your favorite sauce (if using). You've got a seedy pate on your hands now. Get out the Nori and make a inch thick, inch high pile of the seed pate all along the bottom of your Nori. Roll it up, like a monster cigar. When you reach the end of the seaweed, wet all along the edge with water and press the wet seaweed against the roll. Leave it for a minute or two and then chop up into cute little sushi rolls.

Shy can eat about 3 of pieces of these rolls. Be impressed. There are CRAZY filling. Luckily I have a little one who adores seaweed so that helps.

Sunflower seeds have a reputation for lowering blood pressure, being indecently full of vitamin E, and increases serotonin levels in the noggin. Not too shabby. Pumpkin seeds are also freakishly good for you. Nori has protein, magnesium, iodine, and vitamins. Basically, you can't go wrong with this recipe. Unless you hate seeds and seaweed...

1 comment:

  1. You're too cute. I love your style of writing Heather. ;) I can hear you talking as I read it. I love that.
    Anyway, this sounds yum! And I love seeds! And I have been putting more seaweed into our diets recently, so I'm glad for this recipe. I made california rolls a couple times in the last weeks, but I don't love eating all that sushi rice... it makes me feel yuck.

    ReplyDelete